Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas! 12/28/10

Hello everyone,
Christmas was beautiful here at Temple Square! Christmas Eve we all went to Heritage Park into the big lodge. We had an amazing dinner and musical program. I played my own rendition of "What Child is This". The spirit was so strong, I was even getting emotional as I played it... I don't think that has ever happened to me before. Just before I played they read the Christmas story in Luke II, so I think that really brought the spirit. I was very grateful to share my musical talent! What a great mission! Christmas Day we were on the square all afternoon. Sister Doggett and I took two miracle tours, oh it was so amazing. Mike was from Colorado Springs but had previously lived in Utah. His respect and admiration for members of the church had continued as he traveled all around the world with the Air Force. We ended with him at the Christus (on Christmas day!) and I felt prompted to tell him that God had prepared him specifically for this time in his life that he could meet with missionaries, be baptized, and become a part of this wonderful faith. He couldn't agree more! So.. we are excited to begin teaching him on the phone. Our second tour was with Ayanna from Georgia. She was here for a work interview and just kept saying how she didn't want to leave the city! She felt so peaceful and so excepted by all of the people she was meeting. She was intrigued by the history and pioneers so we really enjoyed sharing stories with her. OH and Christmas night we watched, "The Chronicles of Narnia"!!! So amazing, I found more symbolisms that time than I have had before. vonderful.
Our online teaching is going well. Many of the sisters have a hard time "sifting" through people. They spend a lot of time with people who they think are sincere, but really aren't. So we are doing our best to train them when possible. It has been extremely hard to do any training with the holidays, but we are hoping that when it slows down next week we will have more time! I really do love the sisters in our zone though, they are positive and happy and always willing to try these new things. My concern is that, it is extremely hard to let the purpose of missionary work, drive missionary work. Sometimes missionaries have other motivations, when really what better motivation could we have then bringing souls unto Christ? So... I am praying, studying, and fasting, to know how in the world to get this through to the missionaries. I hope we see some miracles soon!
I am excited for the New Year! I am excited for these last 9 weeks of my mission to make it the best time of my mission. There are so many life lessons that I have learned which I will be eternally grateful for. BUT, I know that there is so much more to learn. Mom Porter gave me the best advice. Last preparation day she asked me to read through my first few weeks on my mission. She wanted me to feel the excitement and fire that I had when I first got here and then apply that to my mission now. Not that I am not excited now, but reading my journal really motivated me!! I felt so much peace in what I have accomplished so far, but also such a renewed energy to give the Lord everything that I have. She also told me to not think about anything that will happen when I get home. Well, I can think about it, but not worry about it. (Those who know me well, know that I like to worry, plan, and change everything... haha) So that was also great advice! Thank you so much mom!!!
So we will keep praying, planning, finding, teaching, testifying, and inviting... and teaching some more.
Until next week, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
With Love- Sister Carly Jo Porter
"After all has been said, the greatest and most important duy is to preach the Gospel." - Joseph Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment