Friday, August 27, 2010

AFTER comes the Miracle 8/27/10

We had a wonderful week once again at Temple Square. I cannot believe that it is almost September. What happens to the time? Does time just go by faster as a missionary? I think so....

So my story of the week is a girl named Julie from California, 20yrs old. She was here visiting her sick grandmother and just thought to make a trip by Temple Square. We began showing her around and immediately I could feel that the spirit was so strong. It was a different kind of tour as it was more full of us promising her blessings and reading scriptures to her. She wanted to know everything and explained that she had always wondered why there were so many churches on the earth. We were talking about prayer so I read Alma 37:37 to her and we were silent for a second and she just said "Wow, I never thought of it like that, that he really watches over us in our sleep". She was so wonderful and prepared for the gospel. She was excited for missionaries to teach her and her mom back home. Keep her in your prayers!!

ok ok another miracle. I was in the referral center last night and I was answering the voice mail phone. I answered and began talking to Stephanie from California. She had received a message from another sister and said she had always wanted to learn about our church. After getting to know her I began asking her questions about her own religious background. She said she wasn't very christian because she never knew how to be but she always envied her friend Leslie who was a member. I felt impressed to share with her the first vision. After sharing I just paused and a moment later she responded, "Are you serious? Did that really happen? That's incredible." I was THRILLED!! You would be surprised at how many people respond this way after sharing the restoration. So many people have never heard of Joseph Smith and what really happened. I loved teaching her and when I invited missionaries to come and visit she responded, "YES that would be so perfect!".. ya I know... amazing.

So during this week I have been thinking a lot about the referral center.. obviously... and how my companion and I can improve it. While studying a few mornings ago a came across the topic of Revelation in the True to the Faith book. As I read and pondered I had so many thoughts and ideas come to mind. I quickly wrote them down and shared with my companion. I recognize that I only have 3 weeks left as a referral center director and I really want to do all I can while I am in this calling. So for this next week we will be doing a really unique training with the sisters. The sisters come in shifts throughout the day, there are 5, two hour blocks. Each block we start with a prayer and thought, but now we are adding a 10 minute compact training/role play. We started yesterday and it went so well! We are just reminding the sisters that they can be themselves while on the phone! So... we are very excited to be doing this for at least the next week. It is a little bit exhausting, but SO worth it! :)

Love you all and I LOVE this work. Wherever we may be in life, it is always the perfect time to share this message. Every single person has to hear it. If they don't then they cannot choose to believe it. I love this scripture, "For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them; wherefore, he showed not himself until after their faith." (Ether 12:12) FIRST we must have the faith and share this message. THEN will God work the miracle. But it is always after.


Love you all- have an amazing week!

-Sister Carly Jo Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment