Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Glory in the Lord 6/18/10

Another wonderful week of bi-polar weather in Utah! hah the work is good though of course and we are just loving every minute of it. Transfer conference is on Monday already and I cannot believe it!! I would LOVE to stay with my companion another transfer but most likely we will be changed. With the assignment of RCD usually another sister will be put with me so I can train her for the next sister so that the leadership continues down.. but who knows. There is a slim possibility that they could send me outbound to another state, but I'm guessing probably not. So... we will see!

I just wanted to share a few thoughts from Alma 17. I was studying this chapter this week and just felt a flood of the Spirit as I thought about missionary work right now and also thousands of years ago. I love the sons of Mosiah , "for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God". After having refused the kindom from their father they departed to, " Preach the word of God to a wild and a hardened and a ferocious people; a people who delighted in murdering the nephites, and robbing and plundering them". How would you like to take on the Lamanites? I just read that and thought what in the world are we ever complaining about?! The people all around us who I am pretty sure are not murderers NEED to hear the Gospel. BUT they did not depend upon themselves but they "fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God". The following chapters we hear of their trials and success for 14 years of preaching among the Lamanites. What better example of missionary work??? 14 years! Then my one of my most favorite verses, "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel" (Alma 26:16).

During these last 9 months on my mission I can truly say that this is how I have felt. I haven't met murderers but I have met people that were very hard and perhaps ferocious. I have seen the light of the Gospel touch their hearts and have felt this exceedingly great joy. If you have not felt this joy in your life then something is wrong! The Lord commands us to share the Gospel. I know that every one of you have someone you know who is not a member or who is in-active. So.. reach out to them!!! Act as the Savior would and INVITE them to come closer to HIM. I know that as you do, you will feel a great peace, comfort, and JOY in your life. Heavenly Father will pour out his blessings and you WILL BE HAPPY.

With Love- Sister Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment