Thursday, March 11, 2010

Born and raisened in Utah? 2/16/10

Hey everyone!!

So everyday I try to teach my companion new phrases to use when getting to know the people that we meet, my favorite by far was.... "So were your born and raisened in Utah?" of course meaning born and raised. Sooooo funny, I about died laughing while walking up to the Christus statue.

We receive new assignment's yesterday! I am thrilled to be staying with my companion for another transfer, same apartment, same roommates, same zone :) So it's good! But one change is that I was made District Leader! haha ya I know.. weird huh? As district leader I am over 11 sister's and we have district meeting's once a week, assignment's to cover, pretty much a lot of responsibility! I am so excited! I was very shocked, but of course I know that with the Lord's help I will be able to teach and be a good example to these amazing Sister's.
Oh and some of you may be thinking that this is a little different... this is the only mission in the whole world where we have sister's as District leader's, zone leader's, and ap's. It's pretty cool!!! Best mission eva!

We had many wonderful experiences once again this last week. We took a man Flavio from Brazil on a tour. He started asking questions right away and explained to us that he never believed his Catholic religion and always felt that he was missing something. After telling him how much Heavenly Father loves him and is ready to bless him with so much, he said "I'm afraid it's too late, I have already made so many bad choices" I just smiled and told him heck no it's not too late!! It was so cool, we were able to give him a Book of Mormon to read on his flight home and he is anxious to meet with the missionaries back in Brazil. After teaching him about Faith and showing him a short clip I asked him how he felt he said, "You know I don't really know what Faith is, but as you were reading I felt something new and warm inside." wahhhhhh so cool!

We also took a couple and their granddaughter from Texas around the square. They were Christian and were sooo kind. The girl was 14 yrs old and she had so many questions. She asked about what we believe, and why she hadn't heard about the BofM before, and how she can read more about the prophet's... It was so cute to see so much curiosity. It was even cooler as I watched her grandparent's as we answered her question's. They just watched and listened carefully and I could almost see the spirit touching them, especially the grandpa! It was so neat. I am so excited for them to learn more.

It is hard to explain what my mission is like because it is so unique. But I can say that every single morning I feel so ready and excited to share the good news of the Gospel. These people that come to Temple Square all need something in their lives, I hope to be able to bring the spirit into their heart's so they can find it. It is very hard sometimes to come to love these people so quickly and then to say bye to them, but I know that the Lord loves them and he will help them!!

I have been thinking a lot about the scripture Alma 5:14.. "have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?" I hope that we are all aware that we have to constantly be changing. This process to become like our Savior is never-ending. BUT the point is not to be discouraged but to have HOPE in the power of the Atonement "Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise". (Moroni 7:41).

So I guess my message today is to have hope. Do not be like my friend Flavio and think that it is too late to change, it is never too late! Neither should we ever feel that we are done changing. If we are not changing ourselves every day then the question you should ask yourself is what are you missing, right?

I love the Gospel, I love my Savior, I know Joseph Smith was called of God to restore the only true church on the earth. This message is so important. It is easier than you think to share this simple message with people you meet everyday.

Love you all!!! - Sister Carly Jo Porter


oh p.s. 2 sister's were called yesterday to serve in boston for their outbound! Sister Tandiman and Sister Thornton. Both are amazing and they will LOVE Boston for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment