Thursday, March 11, 2010

But the Bible says . . . . 3/9/10






Yay!!!!!!!!!

Another week has flown by FULL of incredible and interesting experiences. For some reason we had a TON of people here this last week who had come to Temple Square for other reason's than to just "look around". I took a few of these people on tour's and would find out about half way through that they had alternative intention's. It begins with them being so kind, interested, and sincere, and then come the questions. Yesterday we took 3 college student's and they began asking the most rediculous question's. They pull out scriptures from the bible and say but the bible says... I would answer kindly and remind them that we are not here to argue. It is the hardest thing because when we answer it is as if it goes in one ear and out the other. After bearing testimony to one girl she responded by saying, "wow I really appreciate that, but I really hope that you can read the bible someday and that you can truly understand who Christ is". WAHHH. I wanted to just fall over. I had shown her some favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon, but she was literally BLIND to them. Anyway, it is not an easy thing to deal with and the spirit leaves immediately when they begin their questions. So, we testify and then let them go on their merry way :)

So after this unique tour yesterday we met Edwin from Rowanda. He was in the Tabernacle and we asked if we could show him around the Square. Each place we took him he would just say "wow, so beautiful.. that's amazing.... that is so true!!" We shared with him about Christ's visit to the American continent in the Book of Mormon and he said, "yes! that makes perfect sense!" hah so he was a MIRACLE for us and really lifted our spirit's. It is incredible to see how the Lord is really preparing people to come to Temple Square. They feel the spirit and we are simply there to help them understand what the feeling is.. so amazing!

My companion and I set some higher goals for this last week and we were amazed at the results. The purpose of having number's is really to measure how hard we are working and how we are improving. This last week we doubled our number of referral's (number of people who accept to recieve the missionaries in their home) and recieved the most we have ever recieved in a week! We are so happy! My whole district was having a hard time with the anti people that were coming to the Square but so many of them saw miracles as well! I am really learning the importance of setting goals and being accountable for them. No matter what stage we are in our lives we are alway's accountable to the Lord for how well we are serving him. That is one of the purposes of prayer! When we let the Lord know each night how well we are doing, then we also are humbled and able to recognize exactly what it is we need to do better, through the spirit. I know that is true!

We went to an early session in the Temple this morning and it was so incredible. I can't even explain how amazing it is for me to have the opportunity to go in this beautiful building after I have testified of it's holiness all week long. I sat in the celestial room and was filled with so much love, peace, and happiness. I think that is a way of the Lord reminding me of his love for me as a missionary here. I am so grateful for the Temple!!

I have had a wonderful time going on exchanges with the sister's in my district a few times a week this transfer. I have learned so much from them and their individuality. It has helped me to see how each sister is needed here for different reason's. A few of the sister's have commented on my ability to bear powerful testimony of the living prophet. I had never recognized that this has been a theme for me lately, of the importance of a living Prophet on the earth today. I love it though and it is so true!!! This is what makes us different from the other religions. We have a living, loving prophet of God! I am so excited to hear from him this conference and feel the power that he has when he speaks. I hope that you can all have question's written down and a prayer in your heart during conference, I promise that you will recieve answer's... IF you are seeking them! Sometime's we wonder why Heavenly Father doesn't answer our prayer's, usually it is because we don't alway's want to listen :)

We met a man the other night around 8:15 in the north visitor's center, usually at this time of night we don't talk with too many people. This man had come to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearsal andcame in quickly to use the restroom. We began talking with him and asked if we could show him some display's downstairs. He looked a little weirded out and just was like, "uh ya sure I guess so.." For spoke with him for about 20 minutes and invited him several times. My companion told me afterwards "I could see his face changing". He was asking some hard question's so she couldn't understand really, but she noticed his face changing! At the end he said he wanted a Book of Mormon so he could know for himself. It was amazing!

My companion has been having a little bit of a hard time with English. She broke down on sunday and just couldn't stop crying. She can speak very well and answer question's, but she just doesn't understand full conversation's. We have been praying and trying to help her be able to understand more. So now that is the challenge. I feel bad because I am trying to focus on teaching her and taking care of our district, so balancing has been a little bit of a challenge for me. But I just keep praying that as we try our very hardest that the Lord will bless us, and I know that he is!!!

I love this Gospel, I know it is true with all my heart. I could listen to anti's all day try to tell me otherwise and it wouldn't shake me for a second. (I might want to kick them or something.. but I won't.. 2Nep 28:16) The is the only true church of the face of the whole earth! It is led by Jesus Christ himself THROUGH a living Prophet! It's true! It's true! It's true!!

read the Book of Mormon everyday! okay?

loves- Sister Carly Jo Porter

Alma 26:16 "Therefore, let us a
glory, yea, we will bglory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his cmercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel. "







1 comment:

  1. Hello Sister Porter, I stumbled onto your blog. I'm so proud of you, and thankful for your service and testimony! It is sweet to hear about the work going on OUTSIDE of the Tabernacle walls. :) If it's any consolation, remember that there isn't any arguement, critisism, slander or trickery that our detractors have not tried before. I served my mission 20 years ago, and they haven't come up with anything new. Yes, their eyes are blinded and their ears are closed because it is only by accepting the Spirit that someone can see and hear truth. But in the end, the truth ALWAYS prevails. Despite every evil intent, persecution or impediment Satan tries to throw at us, the Church of Jesus Christ goes forth "boldly and nobly", filling the entire earth, and growing exponentially. It will NEVER be removed from the earth, and NEVER fail.

    You are on the Lord's errand, Sister. With Him on your side, all things are possible. I will think of you and your fellow sisters during General Conference. As I look out at that vast congregation I'll be smiling through my happy tears knowing the church is in good hands. Give a big hug to your companion. Tell her to be brave, and always remember 1 Nephi 3:7 - Love, MoSop

    ReplyDelete