Wednesday, March 24, 2010

We help there faith to grow up! 3/23/10




So my companion has picked up this new thing to say all the time "grow up" instead of saying becoming better or getting better she says growing up. Example.. "I promise you when you follow the Jesus Christ your faith can grow up". hah I have tried to explain it several times to her, but it is to cute so I just let her say it... hah.

This week was wonderful. I hope that you all enjoy my experiences that I share every week, sometimes I feel that they may sound a lot similar? hah not sure. But I just meet the most incredible people everyday and this is just how my mission is! I don't get to teach the same people or have any investigator's so I find joy in meeting new brother's and sister's who come to the square :)

Saturday evening we just had 45 minutes on the Square after dinner so my companion and I were standing by the flag pole just in front of the Tabernacle, we noticed a couple walk quickly by... probably because it was pretty much snowing. We chased them and began walking with them. They had just arrived and only had about 15 minutes. They were probably in their 50's and from Canada. We took them to the scripture revelation area in the North Visitor's center and began teaching the restoration. They didn't have much to say so we kept on teaching and we got to the Book of Mormon display. My comp and I bore powerful witnesses that if they received this book that it WOULD bless their lives and bring them closer to the Savior, I then invited them to receive one and Gail responded, "Yes! I need that... honey fill out the card!". hah I wish I had a picture of mine and my companions faces at that moment,.. total shock! We were so thrilled and new they had been totally prepared and they were excited to meet the missionaries.

We took 2 men on a tour yesterday from Ohio. One of them had read a ton of Mormon history so he had a lot of questions. This tour was very interesting because we took them places that we usually don't use. We used the Humanitarian center display, living prophet's, and then ended in the conference center. The other man who had never heard anything was soooo interested. While we were teaching he would lean down right in front of us and eat up every word we were saying. He was fascinated especially by the Book of Mormon and totally agreed with it! This man did refer and is excited to learn more from missionaries in Ohio, the other man loved the tour but said he already had a book of Mormon to read at home. Terry (the man who referred) left a wonderful comment on our comment card .."Thank you to sister Watanabe and sister Porter for a spiritual insight into their faith, the dedication and faith is evident, God's presence was with us today". This came from a man who said he wasn't religious! mmm hmm cool.

We had our district meeting yesterday morning. My companion and I went early to prepare and get things ready. I was writing on the board when I turned around and there was President Holmes! hah he decided to join us for our meeting... I suddenly felt so unprepared and nervous.. wow scary. I just had to pray over and over in my heart that I would be led by the spirit to know what to say and share with the sister's. well the meeting went so well as we focused on the Restoration and the key points necessary to share with these people on the Square. I was thrilled the President was so complimentary with me and loved the meeting... wow what a HUGE relief.. but of course that doesn't mean that I don't have so many thing's I still need to improve upon. So much work to do still.

One more story.. we met another couple from Canada on Sunday afternoon, which was the busiest day by far. We quickly explained we could show them around Temple Square and help them out with learning about the history and basic belief of our church. First thing they said was "wo wo wo we are not here to be converted". I just kind of laughed and told them we weren't here to convert them but simply share more about this place (convert them:) My heart was racing as I tried to figure out how I would share the restoration throughout the tour without them knowing!! hah it was so cool though, the spirit helped my companion bridge from the History to simple facts about the church. It was incredible that 25 minutes later they were asking questions about everything and their faces had literally changed. They were especially interested in the Book of Mormon.

I love people and I love the spirit. Heavenly Father knows his children and we are simply his instruments on earth to help him communicate with his children. The power of the Book of Mormon is so real! It truly is the evidence that Christ's church is once again on the earth. Sometimes it is difficult to explain and share a scripture so briefly but the spirit always helps the people to understand and apply it to themselves. Amazing. The power of missionary work is so real and as member's you all NEED to be a part of it!

One thing that I am trying to work on is filling my mind with new knowledge or ideas about the Gospel, missionary work, the atonement, everything! (2 Nephi 32:3) I need this because when we teach I have to have something to pull from, usually it comes from what I have studied that morning or what has been on my mind.

I also no that I am not perfect, but far from perfect. I love the scripture "line upon line, precept upon precept" in 2 Nephi 28:30. I am trying to progress every day so that the lord can build upon my lines! I hope that you are all doing the same. Conference is coming up and gives us the perfect resource to examine ourselves and figure out where we need to go from here... perfect.

love you all! Have a fantabulous week!

-Sister Carly Jo Porter

"We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, 'to bring to pass the immortality and the eternal life of man'. You obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere" "Let there be cultivated an awareness in every member's heart of his own potential for bringing others to a knowledge of the truth. Let him work at it. Let him pray with great earnestness about it". - President Gordan B. Hinckley.

Missionary work is for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment